“Connect me with people and places that broaden my world.”
Expanding possibilities is about how we can help young people see new potential and possibilities for their future. By connecting them with ideas, experiences, people, and places outside their everyday lives, parents can help young people make connections that grow and expand their world. In turn, these can ignite fulfillment, curiosity and passions that can last throughout their lives.
Trying new things, meeting new people, and going to new places can all contribute to expanding possibilities.
Actions That Expand Possibilities
Expanding possibilities involves three actions in Search Institute’s developmental relationships framework:
- Inspire: Inspire me to see possibilities for my future.
- Broaden horizons: Expose me to new ideas, experiences, and places.
- Connect: Introduce me to people who can help me grow.
Watch this short video to learn more about expanding possibilities in families:
How Well Do We Expand Possibilities?
U.S. parents are less likely to say they expand possibilities than any of the other elements of developmental relationships, according to Search Institute research.
Take this quiz to see how you can expand possibilities within your family.
Ways to Expand Possibilities in Your Family
On our Keep Connected website, you’ll find lots of ways to expand possibilities in your family. There you can find:
- Expand possibilities family quiz
- Discussion starters (Talk About It tab)
- Family activities (Try It tab)
- Books to read together (Read It tab)
- More information about Expanding Possibilities (Learn About It tab)