“You Matter to Me”
Expressing care is fundamental to strong and healthy family relationships. Because of that, it’s important to tell family members we care about them and that we want the best for them. But we can also express care through other ways, such as these actions:
- Being dependable: Be someone others can count on and trust.
- Listening to each other: Pay attention to each other and have open, respectful communication.
- Believing in each other: Share with others that they are known and valued.
- Be warm to each other: Let each other know that we like being together.
- Encourage each other: Praise each other’s efforts and achievements.
Watch this short video to learn more about Expressing Care:
How Well Do We Express Care?
According to a Search Institute survey, 80% of participating parenting adults considered expressing care to be the strongest developmental relationship element in their family relationships. Are you wondering how you and your family would stack up? Take the Express Care Quiz and share it with other members of your household.
Learning Ways to Express Care in Your Family
On our Keep Connected website, you’ll find lots of ideas to practically express care in your family. There you can find:
- The express care family quiz
- Discussion starters (Talk About It tab)
- Family activities (Try It tab)
- Books to read together (Read It tab)
- More Iinformation about expressing care (Learn About It tab)
Free Download: Talking Tips for Expressing Care
Finding time to talk can be a challenge when we’re pulled in so many directions. Click below to download a few talking tips for everyday conversations and for tougher conversations too.
Note: This is part of a five-part series on developmental relationships in families. To read other posts in the series, visit Challenge Growth, Provide Support, and Share Power and Expand Possibilities.